Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Latest Craving {raw cacao nibs}

For my first installment of the My Latest Craving series (which you can read about HERE), I'm featuring one of my latest favorite superfoods: raw cacao nibs.

Photobucket

You probably already know that the cacao bean is where chocolate comes from. But did you know that cacao is a great source of potassium and magnesium and also has other vitamins? Better yet, it has the highest amount of antioxidants of any food tested so far, better than wine, blueberries, or even green tea.

So here's the problem, you lose most of these qualities when you heat this raw superfood to make chocolate. So, this is why I've been loving me some unheated, as God made them, cacao nibs.

Photobucket

Steven and I like to eat them plain, but they are a little too bitter for most of my kids. So, I've been incorporating them into our diets in other ways. I often use a coffee-grinder to make a powder, but I know you can just buy them powdered as well. I'll sprinkle it on peanut butter and honey sandwiches or, for one of our favorites, blend it with ripe bananas. My kids thinks it's a dessert and only I know there's not a drop of sugar in it.

But the most popular way I've used it so far is to make cacao truffles. Here's how:

Cacao Truffles

  • 2/3 c. raw cacao ground into a powder (like I said, I use a coffee bean grinder)
  • 7 Tbsp. coconut oil
  • 1/2 c. local, raw honey
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and put the bowl in the freezer for about 20 minutes or until starting to thicken. Pull mixture out and roll into truffle sized balls. Put on a plate and fully freeze. Keep in the freezer until ready to eat.

I pull one (*cough* or three *cough*) of these bad boys out to kick my chocolate cravings. No sugar and packed with nutrients. Can I get a guilt-free "amen"!?!

Photobucket

I have found the cheapest place to buy them to be Amazon. If you want more info, on how fabulous raw cacao is you can find it HERE

1 comment:

Don't be shy, share your thoughts!