Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Latest Craving {juicing}

Alright. If I'm being really honest, I'm not craving this so much right now.  I was, way back when it was a fun Tuesday morning breakfast. But after doing a juice detox last week (only freshly made juice to eat), "craving" might not be the word to use right now.

So let me channel my happy Tuesday morning feelings that I possessed just a short time ago to write this post.

Juicing is a great opportunity to get all the benefits from the enzymes of a bunch of fruits and veggies into one power-packed drink that your body can quickly absorb and use. My kids will actually drink it (hint: I give it to them in colored cups so that they aren't turned off by the shade of the beverage), and I have happy mommy feelings as I watch them drink kale, beets, and much more. (hint 2: If we're heavy on the veggies that morning, I sweeten it with a little honey.)

I stole borrowed the juicer my poor mom hardly wants to look at after months of juicing post-jaw surgery last year. I start with this:
Photobucket

And end up with about 6 or 7 full glasses of this:
Photobucket

Hating to waste the pulp, I juice the fruit and veggies separately. I keep the fruit pulp to mix with yogurt and chia seeds. Next is the vegetable pulp:
Photobucket

I might mix it in as I cook a big batch quinoa and combine that with Kalmata olives and feta. (Presto! Healthy lunch!) Or I might make it into crackers using this RECIPE. (hint 3: Adding a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar gives the crackers a yummy kick.)
Photobucket

Some of my favorite things to add to the juice are:
kale or collard greens
carrots
celery
beets
cucumbers
apples

And, never, ever forget the pineapple. It makes everything all better and even collard greens can be hidden behind it's flavor.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Oh, and one lesson learned from last week. Don't juice radishes. Seriously. Just take my word for it.

1 comment:

Don't be shy, share your thoughts!