Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A House For Her Birthday

Last week. Wow. Last week.

First I'll rewind. Remember how we were hoping to buy a new home so that we can start the process of adding to our family? Well, Steven and I have been on the lookout for houses in our price range for awhile now. Three days before we found out about a start-date for Steven's job, I was browsing through homes for sale. My heart sank a bit when I saw a home that had come on the market. It was so perfect for us; and with still no idea when Steven would start his job, it felt depressing. I showed my sister the home.

"It's like it was made for you," she remarked.

It was like it was made for us, but I also figured it would sell quickly. I found myself checking online every couple of days to see if it was still there. Each time I held my breath, and yet there it was. Fast forward two weeks later, Steven had a job and we went to check it out in person. Both of us expected to find something wrong with the home since it had been on the market for two weeks. But even in person, it seemed to be the perfect match for our family. We decided to put our condo on the market that next weekend in hopes of buying the home we'd found. We were warned by our Realtor that doing this on the weekend before July 4th could cause some slow traffic. Within an hour of putting it on the market we had our first viewing. Over that weekend, it was one viewing after another.

Since Steven's parents had a planned visit, we relocated to my parent's home as they were already out of town (thank you, Mom & Dad!). Notwithstanding record temperature and a storm that rocked Northern Virginia and left a third of the people without power (welcome to Virginia, dear in-laws!) we had two offers on our condo by Tuesday. This happened to be Adriana's birthday (remember we're still in the middle of our birthday streak).

And that house that we had wanted, by some miracle, was still on the market. When we headed off to meet with our Realtor to put together an offer, we told Adriana,"We're trying to get you a house for your birthday!"

Note to self: always clarify with a 6 year old. I had a disappointed little girl on my hands when she realized that "a house" didn't mean a doll house. I know. What a bummer. We're only trying to buy you something lame like a real house.


Now for some pictures of the birthday girl.

First a photo with Grandpa and Grandma:
Photobucket

The birthday girl...
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Watching a video of my sixth birthday...
Photobucket

To finish the housing story, we accepted an offer on our condo and then found out the next day that our offer on the house had been accepted. We're still in the throws of inspections and appraisals; but Lord willing, we'll be moving at the beginning of August. And I still can't believe it's really happening.

1 comment:

  1. Such a cool cool story! We are so excited for you! God certainly provides!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, share your thoughts!